Monday, September 4, 2017

The Ketogenic Diet: A Nutrition Coach's Perspective

It all started with a little harmless coconut oil....

Or was it... putting butter in your coffee?

Or was it... the correlation of sugar intake and obesity rates?


The Ketogenic Diet

For about the past six months, the Ketogenic diet, or the keto diet, has been the most talked about diet in the fitness industry. 

If I got an almond for every time I heard "He/she's on the ketogenic diet" or "sugar is terrible for you", I'd have a fuck ton of almonds but not as many as someone who's on keto eats in a friggin' day, am-I-rite?

Image result for ketogenic diet meme

If you just got out of prison or are like, Amish, or something of the sort, the ketogenic diet is simply a style of eating that trains your body to burn fat for energy, instead of sugar

But to get into this fat burning zone (ketosis) you can't eat more than around 50 grams of carbohydrates per day, which includes the fibrous carbohydrates found in vegetables.

The Ketogenic Diet is nothing short of a full-fledged dietary/lifestyle change.

(Here's a quick page I found that details the keto diet a little bit more)

As a trainer, certified nutrition coach, UGA Football nutrition intern, etc. etc., as someone pursuing a coaching career in the fitness industry, I've noticed and found a few things to be true. 

These are my quick thoughts on the ketogenic diet, for anyone who's thinking about trying it:




1) It can work to help you lose fat.

The keto diet can produce results, when done properly. 



2) A lot of other "diets" can help you lose fat as well.

Many times, it can be at a faster and/or more sustainable rate, depending on who you are, what your goals are, what kind of lifestyle you have, etc. 

IT ALL WORKS. People lose weight and get in better shape via an infinite amount of strategies/tools.



3) No dietitian or dietetics major I've asked has recommended keto.

The only case in which it has been recommended is under the case of certain cognitive diseases. 

If your goal is to lose some fat or just get healthier and feel better...



4) Consider other diets that suite your lifestyle better.

If you really really want to try keto, go for it! It works for some people. For most of my clients, and for 100% of the people I know who have tried keto, it's a lot of work and actual stress to change your diet so drastically and quickly, with so many limitations on what you can/can't eat. 

In other words, if you don't have any pre-existing health conditions and your goal is simply and specifically weight loss...

Maybe try something a little less extreme first. 

The work:results ratio for keto requires you put in a lot of work, for the same results you could get with a diet that works more easily with your lifestyle and goals. 




Word. Honestly, I know how confusing and baffling and dogmatic it can be to get to truth of things in the fitness... If you want to know more about it or have any questions, or want to tell me how wrong I am and that sugar is terrible for you, you can always hit me up! 


P.S. If you'd like a thorough science-based, non-biased report on the ketogenic diet, I'd recommend this resource: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/low-carb-report

Precision Nutrition is the largest private nutrition coaching and research company in the world, not paid for or sponsored by any companies tho



No comments:

Post a Comment

Next Level Marketing and Ethics from a Fitness Coaching Company

I recently ran into a fully integrated marketing campaign from Precision Nutrition, promoting their second release of a coaching software fo...